Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Newborn Wolf Hat Pattern

I promised this ages ago and only have a small amount of time to get it online so, here goes.

I found a photo online of wolf/fox hats that I really liked.  I wanted just a wolf pattern for boys and wasn't finding anything that was "perfect".  So I decided to pick from here and there and make it what I wanted. :)

Unravel Me has a beautiful Fox hat pattern for $4.99 on Ravelry.  It's gorgeous but I didn't care for the ears.  (Also I'm cheap and $5 for a pattern...well, not for me.  She uses wool and G hook on hers and I prefer not to use either so it just wasn't for me.)

RepeatCrafterMe has an owl hat pattern for free that I've used for years but I also tweak it a bit too.

Would You Like Yarn With That had the perfect triangle I had envisioned for the ears!

I've tested the pattern and it works for me but if you have a problem with it I can help you. :)  I only posted the photos I've taken on the hats I finished myself, not those I've seen online.  I appreciate all the work these other crafters have put into their work.  I am not attempting to steal or make money off of the pattern.  I am not using the images from another person.  Crochet is no different than any other art form.  If you see something beautiful and would like to make that yourself you learn about it and try to create something just as beautiful but in your own way.  I'm linking back to all the amazing crafters that I found inspiration from.  Again, this is not their pattern exactly but slightly modified to what I envisioned for this hat.

For this project you will need an H Hook for the hat and F Hook for the ears.  And of course, yarn.  Please read over the pattern before you begin.  You will need to know DC, HDC and Picot Stitch.  I have included a video tutorial on how to do the Picot Stitch done by Moogly, Tamara Kelly.  If you've not visited the Moogly Blog, DO IT, she's genius.  This project can be done by anyone, even beginners, if you're just willing to give it a try.  Stitching the nose with sl st on the top may be tricky but if you can't get it just chain the number of sl st and work it from there, then stitch it on. :)

Crochet Wolf Pattern


(Begin with Crochet Owl Pattern by RepeatCrafterMe)




  • H Hook (5.0 mm)
  • Caron Simply Soft in Heather Grey (color 1)
  • Caron Simply Soft in White (color 2)
(Depending on how tightly you crochet, to get the right newborn size you may need an I Hook for larger stitches because simply soft is such a thin yarn.  On the lighter wolf I used I Love This Yarn Greymist and White from Hobby Lobby.  Those are much thicker yarns but still very soft.)


--Newborn – 3 Months--
Start with Color 1 
Round 1 : Magic Ring, Chain 2, DC 12 inside ring, join to 1 st DC, chain 2
Round 2 : 2 DC in same stitch and in each around, join, chain 2 (24)
Round 3 : DC in the same stitch as Chain 2, DC, DC, 2 DC in next, *DC in next 3, 2 DC in next, repeat from * around, join to 1st DC, chain 2 (30)
Round 4 : DC in the same stitch as Chain 2, DC, 2 DC in next * DC in next 2, 2 DC in next stitch, repeat from * around, join to 1st DC, chain 2 (40)
Round 5-7 : Beginning in same stitch as Chain 2, DC around, join to 1st DC, chain 2 (40)
Change to Color 2
Round 8-9 : In new color, DC around, join to 1st DC, Chain 2 (40)
Round 10 : SC around, snip and finish

Turn to the front, work 8 SL across the top of the last Color 1 Row (Row 7)
DC 8, ch 1, turn
HDC Dec, HDC 4, HDC Dec, Ch 1, turn
HDC Dec, HDC 2, HDC Dec, Ch 1, turn
HDC Dec 2x


Finish and leave a long tail to stitch button on for the nose and both eyes (alternately you can use whatever color you use for the button)
  • F Hook (3.75 mm)

Color 2 Yarn
Ch 3, join w/ a sl st to form a ring.
Round 1: Ch 2 (does not count as a stitch) do 15 dc in ring. Join w/ sl st to first dc.
Round 2: Ch 3 (Beginning chain counts as stitch here and for the rest of the pattern), do 1dc in same stitch, ch 1, do 2 dc in same stitch, do 1dc in each of the next 4 sts, *
2dc, ch1, 2dc
in next stitch, do 1dc in each of the next 4 sts.* Repeat from *to* until you reach the initial ch3. Join with a sl st. Finish.
Color 1 Yarn start at one corner
8 SC around, SL in ch 1, Chain 3, Picot, 9 SC
(leave the bottom open and leave a long tail to stitch to hat)

Join ears on the side from the bottom of Row 3 to the top of Row 6 , curving a bit if necessary


Well, that's it!  I hope you enjoy it and make tons!  

No comments:

Post a Comment